Get the details on packaging & licensing is detailed in the official Microsoft press release . Two more handy links:
Things to note:
- A new client SKU named Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 is what you know as Office Professional Plus 2007 (including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Access, InfoPath, Communicator, & Publisher) but also includes Microsoft Office Groove 2007 & Microsoft Office OneNote 2007.
- Office SharePoint Server 2007 includes publishing, collaboration & search. In today’s terms, think SharePoint Portal Server & SharePoint’s Shared Services, and Content Management Server.
- Office Project Server 2007, Office Project Portfolio Server 2007, Office Forms Server 2007 (think webified InfoPath), and Office Groove Server 2007 are separate SKU’s from Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- FrontPage is now SharePoint Designer.
- A new CAL have been introduced: Core CAL (existing) combines access to Windows Server, Exchange Server, Office SharePoint Portal Server and SMS; Enterprise CAL (new) includes a Core CAL plus enterprise data searching, spreadsheet publishing (Excel Services), Web-based form creation, MOM, LCS, Windows Rights Management Services, and security products
I’m sure there will be lots of questions that come out of this new packaging… one comes to mind: “I’ve been paying an for Software Assurance (SA) for SharePoint Portal Server 2003 & Content Management Server 2002 for the last few years… now that the features are included in Office SharePoint Server 2007, what have I been paying two SA’s for?”
Oh… the OSS category on my blog is no longer for Office Server System… it’s now Office SharePoint Server… my, that worked out just great! ;)
» Q & A: Microsoft Unveils Next Generation of Web Authoring and Design Tools