You have heard people say how easy it is to incorporate new navigation controls, either those you roll on your own or commercial ones you purchase, into a MOSS 2007 Publishing site… or any WSS v3 based site for that matter. Well, now you can see how easy it is!
Telerik just posted a white paper and associated screencast demonstrating how to incorporate their RadMenu control in a Publishing site. I worked with Telerik recently to create these helpful resources to show how easy it is. The white paper (and screencast) is broken down into three pieces:
- Manual deployment of the Telerik RadMenu files (assembly & skin files)
- Configuring automated deployment of the Telerik RadMenu files via a WSS solution package (*.wsp)
- Implementing the RadMenu control into a Publishing site
The second point listed above, configuring automated deployment, shows you how to create a Visual Studio 2005 project that will build a *.WSP file that you can use to easily roll the RadMenu out to various sites & servers in your SharePoint farm. Sure, it takes a bit longer to setup than the manual process, but it saves you time and maintenance headaches down the road.
Two things to note:
- Most of the controls in the Telerik RadControls UI suite can be implemented in a SharePoint site using the same technique outlined in the white paper & screencast.
- The controls, including RadMenu, are not restricted to Publishing sites… you can add them to any WSS v3 based site.