An article I worked very hard on has recently been published on MSDN. The article, Customizing and Extending the SharePoint 2010 Server Ribbon , is very long and a comprehensive companion to what you’ll find in the SharePoint 2010 SDK. I found there to be a lot to uncover and expose in the SharePoint 2010 ribbon while researching the subject. This paper was supposed to be around 15 pages but I couldn’t hold back… ended up over 40 pages! There are two detailed samples in there too.
Learn about the components that make up the SharePoint 2010 Server ribbon and how to customize the ribbon by walking through two ribbon customization scenarios.
You’ll learn a ton of stuff about the ribbon from this paper. I talk about a lot of things that were not uncovered in the SDK. While working on it, some things didn’t make it into the paper and instead made it in a series of blog posts you’ll fine on my blog from October 2010. Here are the links to those posts:
- Always Create Your Own Group Templates with SharePoint Ribbon Customizations
- Handling Events in the SharePoint Ribbon
- Implementing Page Components in the SharePoint Ribbon
- Understanding Focused vs. Global Commands in SharePoint Ribbon Page Components
- Asynchronously Checking if a Command is Available in the SharePoint Ribbon
And here’s the ribbon paper: