Earlier this year I spent some time exploring the integration opportunities and possible benefits to bringing SharePoint 2010 and Windows Azure together in custom solutions. During that time I also worked on a few hands-on labs for a training course for the Developer & Platform Evangelism (DPE) group at Microsoft, specifically the SharePoint 2010 & Windows Azure Training Course. I have to admit that I didn’t have a great attitude towards the cloud. To me it was a lot of tail wagging the dog or vendors like Microsoft & Amazon creating these clouds and trying to push them onto developers. But the more time I spent with it, the more time I found that this stuff was quite interesting and useful.
If you haven’t noticed over the 18+ months, you’ve seen more and more Microsoft speakers talk about integrating SharePoint 2010 & Windows Azure at conferences. You’ve also seen blog posts, articles and books on the subject as well. At the SharePoint Conference 2011 in Anaheim back in October 2011, there were around 10 sessions related to the topic. I had one of those sessions and have to say that I was quite taken back to see the level of interest from folks on this subject. Most of those sessions were packed to capacity and some had to be repeated later in the week.
Over the next few posts I want to talk about a few different things related to integrating SharePoint 2010 & Windows Azure. Some of it are just opinions, musings and rants while others are more technical. Like my other series posts, I’ll update this list as I add more posts to my blog…
- SharePoint 2010 + Windows Azure - About this Series
- SharePoint 2010 + Windows Azure - Why You Should Care & the Development Story
- SharePoint 2010 + Windows Azure - Breaking Out of the Sandbox
- SharePoint 2010 + Windows Azure - Integration Options
Looking for some good technical resources? Here are a handful of the ones I’ve found to be quite useful.
- Windows Azure Developer Center
- Free Course: Windows Azure Platform Training Course (by Microsoft DPE)
- Free Course: SharePoint 2010 and Windows Azure Training Course (by Microsoft DPE)
- Book: Programming Windows Azure: Programming in the Cloud
- Book: Developing Microsoft SharePoint Applications Using Windows Azure
- Book: Professional SharePoint 2010 Cloud-Based Solutions