If you’ve used SharePoint 2003 (either SharePoint or WSS), you’ll know there are way too many places out there to find administration level information about a site, portal, user, server, virtual server, etc. I don’t think it should be so hard to find this info… so, I’m I’ve started a proof of concept for a oober-admin tool. I’m still in the process of defining all the requirements… and I fully expect (and taking the approach) of adding more and more features to this app as I progress. I also haven’t decided if it will be freeware, shareware, open source, commercial, etc. I’ve shared my intention with some of the recent Resource Kit authors, including the main ones, and they are interested as well. I know there are already some tools out there ( like this one ), but I want a fully inclusive one.
As I said, right now I’m in the mode of throwing together a click-through as well as a feature list. If you have input, please comment to this post. I plan to start working on an article at some point in the near future that will have a list of all the planned features, a roadmap, screenshots, and downloads (unless I decide to go with the open source/freeware route where it will then be hosted either on GotDotNet or SourceForge. Watch this post for updates in the future.
Here’s a very short list of things I’m planning (the list is very long, this is the quick version:
- Windows Forms client app (not web app or web parts)… I don’t want it to be easy to gain access to this or open to the world… this admin tool should be very restricted.
- Two modes: connect to SharePoint server via local host (run interactively on server) OR communicate with SharePoint server via a collectin of web services.
- WinXP/Office2003 look and feel UI
- Full user information… such as what sites they have access to, what sites they own, remove user from all sites, reassign ownership of sites they own, view their alerts, etc.
- Full site information… ownership, users, web part pages, web parts, ghosted pages, site groups, database info, etc.
- Full portal information… same as site info
- Full server information… database info, IIS info (virtual servers, app pools), config settings, etc
- Console application wrappers… I hate using STSADM.EXE so this app will have a WinForm wrapper for STSADM.EXE.
That’s just a few features… more will be posted later. Please send in your feature requirements and if you’re interested in being involved!