Just when you turn around, it hits you… BAM, and TechEd is upon us! I’m anticipating a busy next two-three weeks writing and working with the latest MOSS Beta 2 (which, if you missed it, will be available sometime by the end of May), so I wanted to get my obligatory “YOU ARE HERE” post. In this post you’ll find: where I’ll be, sessions (both ones I’m going to try to hit and CMS/WCM specific ones), and some Mindsharp info.
Last year, one thing really got me more than anything. See, last year’s TechEd was my first major conference since I started blogging. By the time of TechEd, I had been blogging for 20 months. It was so incredibly cool to meet some of the fellow bloggers I read as well as meet some of regular subscribers/readers of my blog (esp those who were such active commenters). Anyway, I’m really looking forward to this experience again this year.
Where I’ll be:
This year, being only my second TechEd, will be very different from last year. Why? Two reasons:
Mindsharp Booth #241: First of all, our company will have a booth at TechEd. Yup, come by and talk up MOSS with us! Bill English, Todd Bleeker, Carla, Michael, myself and others will be on hand to answer any questions and show you how we can help you and your organization get up to speed with this massive new release of the next version of SharePoint (WSS/SPS) & MCMS. If I’m not in the Mindsharp booth chattin it up I’ll likely be in the…
Office Technical Learning Center (TCL) Discussion Area: I’m staffing the discussion area over 20 hours during TechEd with some fellow Office Server MVPs. Come see Bil and I bring the house down (oops, Lawrence may not care for that :)… just kidding man… seriously, come see Bil lose ANOTHER camera (I’ll try to get a picture of it falling out of his pocket)! They setup a tidy little schedule for us… here’s when I’ll be on-hand at the Office Discussion Area:
- Monday 1:00p – 5:00p
- Tuesday 1:30p – 5:45p
- Wednesday 12:00p – 6:45p
- Thursday 12:00p – 3:00p
- Friday 9:00a – 12:00p
If you’re interested in talking about MCMS, MOSS 2007, or Web Content Management, give me a shout & please stop by one of the two locations above, or stop me on the expo floor!
As I mentioned above, we’ll have a booth on the expo floor (#241). No sense in repeating myself here.
- (Todd) OFC303 – Working with content types, field types, and other facilities for SharePoint lists & libraries – Monday 5p-6:15p in 160 ABC.
- (Todd) OFC 308 – Using feature and solution definitions for constructing custom SharePoint sites – Tuesday 10:15a-11:30a in 254 AB
- (Bill) OFC 326 – Enterprise search technical drilldown in MOSS 2007 – Thursday 8a-9:15a in 104 ABC
- (Bill) OFC 333 – WSS and SPS: Upgrade and migration – Thursday 2:45p-4p in 160 ABC
I don’t have any breakout sessions, but I’m working with schedulers to hold a “chalk talk” (small theater with 20–30 seats) on CMS->WCM migration. Once it’s been scheduled, I’ll update you with the time/location on my blog. Scheduled! I’ll be doing a TLC Theatre Presentation on Thursday from 3p-3:20p in the Office TLC A/V area. The session is number TLC33–OFC329, read more about it here.
Here’s a list of all the WCM sessions that will be presented at TechEd… I’m hoping to make all of them:
- OFC216 – Using the WCM features of MOSS to build great looking sites: Bob German & Arpan Shah [Wednesday 8:30a-9:45a; 157 ABC]
- OFC323 – Dot-com meets SharePoint: building an internet-facing web site using MOSS 2007: Jim Masson [Wednesday 5:30p-6:45p; 205 ABC]
- OFC329 – Migrating your CMS 2002 web sites to MOSS 2007: Arpan Shah & Mitch Prince [Thursday 1p-2:15p; 259 AB]
Here’s a list of the sessions I hope to have time to attend (in no particular order) between working the Office discussion area and manning the Mindsharp booth:
- BIN206 – Microsoft Office Excel 2007 & SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Integration explained
- BIN215 – Building reporting solutions with Reporting Services and Analysis Services
- BIN418 - Business Intelligence in Practice: Data Mining
- CON310 – (WinFX) Windows Workflow Foundation: building state machine-based workflows
- CON322 – (WinFX) Windows Workflow Foundation: building rules-based workflows
- CON335 - (WinFX) Windows Workflow Foundation: Creating a Host for the Workflow Runtime
- CON440 - dotNET Framework 2.0: Advanced Serialization
- OFC336 - Building Custom Server Solutions with the New Excel Services
- OFC406 - Windows SharePoint Services (version 3) Development 2: ASP.NET, Web Parts, Master Pages, Field Types, and More
- DEV304 - Delving into Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Architects
- DEV327 – VS 2005 TFS (part 1): Applying version control, work item tracking, and team build to your software development project
- OFC210 – Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007: Create & customize SharePoint web sites and build workflow-enabled applications
- OFC312 – Developing workflows for MOSS 2007 and WSS v3
- WEB301 - ASP.NET: Accelerating Web Application Development with the Microsoft Enterprise Library WEB315 – ASP.NET: End-to-End – building a complete web application using ASP.NET 2.0, VS2005, and IIS7 (part 1)
And here’s a list of Birds of a Feather sessions I’d like to hit (really wish the scheduler would show the moderator):
- BOF06 – Customizing the SharePoint Interface (by Heather Solomon)
- BOF18 – Next generation refactoring in Visual Studio (by Mark Miller of DevExpress)
- BOF30 – AJAX, ASP.NET, and you: All about MSFT Atlas
- BOF34 – Getting ready for the next generation of SharePoint (by Bil)
- BOF41 – Creative uses for Virtualization in the development lab
Page update history / changelogThis page has been updated since it was originally published. The following list details each change and when it occurred.
- Wednesday, June 7, 2006 - 6:43 PM
My chalk talk session now has been assigned a number/code (TLC33–OFC329) and is listed in ComNet.
- Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 6:43 PM
My CMS-WCM Migration Theater talk was scheduled for Thursday 3p-3:20p in the Office TPC A/V area.
- Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:43 PM
Added more sessions of interest when I saw some gaps in my schedule.