- Introduction to the SharePoint 2010 Server Ribbon
- SharePoint 2010 Server Ribbon Architecture
- Customizing the SharePoint 2010 Server Ribbon
- Customizing the Built-in SharePoint 2010 Server Ribbon Components
- Creating Custom SharePoint 2010 Server Ribbon Components
- Custom SharePoint 2010 Server Ribbon Development Tips and Tricks
With the release of the 2007 Microsoft Office system, Microsoft introduced a new user interface structure, known as the ribbon, that replaced the previous application drop-down menus and toolbars. The ribbon came about after much research suggested that certain applications, such as Microsoft Word, contained so many commands that users had trouble finding what they needed.
This article explains the components of the SharePoint Server ribbon so that you can understand how the ribbon is constructed. Then, it explains and shows how developers can customize and extend the ribbon. The SharePoint Foundation 2010 General Reference has a section devoted to explaining the ribbon, and contains various customization walkthroughs. When customizing the ribbon, I recommend that you use this article in conjunction with the SharePoint Foundation 2010 General Reference, specifically the section Server Ribbon in SharePoint Foundation.