- Introduction to Understanding Field Controls and Web Parts
- Web Parts
- SharePoint Field Controls
- Important Differences Between Field Controls and Web Parts
- Content Editor Web Part vs. Publishing HTML Field Control
- Best Practices: When to Use Field Controls vs. Web Parts in SharePoint Server Publishing Sites
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 publishing sites empower content owners to manage content on a site without involving IT staff in the day-to-day management of the site. Content owners can use one of two tools provided by developers—field controls or Web Parts—to manage content on a page.
It is critical that every developer who works on SharePoint Server publishing sites understands the intricacies and implications of using field controls or Web Parts in page layouts. This article addresses the details of how Web Parts and field controls work, the differences between the two types of controls, and the advantages and disadvantages of each. The article also provides some best practices for when each should or should not be used.